Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Quality Television

I'm not even gonna explain the long lay-off. All I'm gonna say is "I told you so". On to the blog.

I've spent probably the last 6 months catching up on Television shows from the past 5 or so years that I never watched. After spending that time effectively watching a mixture of ESPN, MTV, 24 and whatever reruns I could catch of my favorite old shows, I decided to hop a few bandwagons. Frankly, all I'm wondering now is what took me so long.

1. The Wire: Well, my excuse for not watching this show was simply that I didn't have HBO. I actually watched the first episode one vacation when I was home from school (right when my dad first got HBO) but didn't keep up because there was no way for me to continue watching. Then I sort of forgot about it.
Well, I'm sorry I did. I started my bandwagoning with this show, and as my friends over at General Musings from Generalists and Bill Simmons (towards the bottom of the column) can attest to, this may just be the best show ever made (and I'm only through season 2). There isn't much I can really say about it that hasn't already been said, but it's just a really well done show. I highly recommend this show to, well, everyone.


2. Rescue Me: This isn't so much a bandwagon show as just a really entertaining show. I'm only through season 1 right now, but had Blockbuster Online gotten their stuff together I would have been through season 2. It's not for everyone, and it's really not near as good as the other shows on this list, but as far as quality Television, and compared to most of what is on TV today, this is well done.

3. Scrubs: This is actually my most recent bandwagon show, as I started watching it over the Christmas holiday. I don't really know what kept me from watching it initially, or what got me watching it now. All I know is that each time it comes on (which is about 10 times over the course of the day) I pretty much have my TV tuned to it. It's amazing to me that the best shows are the ones nobody watches, and that this show was almost cancelled on several occasions.
I think, what I like about it, more than anything else is the realism that it brings. Now, if you've ever seen it, you understand what I mean by "realism". The fact is, it uses the old trick comedies used back in the 90's, when characters learn lessons within each show. However, the difference between this show and others is that nothing is shoved down your throat. The lessons they're learning are for their benefit, not for ours. They're not trying to teach or preach or anything like that. It's a comedy about working in a hospital, but they have no problem reminding you that these people do, in fact, work in a hospital, which can be a very emotional and depressing place. But they do it with charisma and style, and there really isn't a bad thing I can say about this show. I feel like, if you haven't gotten on the bandwagon, it's not too late. I think I've seen half of their six seasons in the last month just off syndication (Comedy Central, 11am and 11:30am Eastern, and 7pm and 7:30pm Eastern). So, check it out.


Other than that, I feel like there hasn't been Quality Television quite like there currently is in a while. Shows that I personally enjoy include Lost, Heroes, How I Met Your Mother, My Name is Earl, Numb3rs, Las Vegas, and House. And there are apparently good shows that I don't even pay any mind to (Desperate Housewives, Gray's Anatomy, etc.) as well as old favorites (Law and Order, etc.) So I'm just happy I have my TiVo. Because without it, I would probably have even less to do here in St. Louis.

Coming Soon: Why 24 is like my best friend from Elementary school who suddenly became cool in High school and stopped talking to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Brooklyn Boy said...

Whutup you non-posting bastard? As motivation, I tagged you in a little blogospheric meme game.

Check this post for the rules.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home