Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Da Vinci Code, Follow Up

It has recently occured to me, that towards the end of my Da Vinci Code post, I stated that I would later discuss the impact of the movie and the discussions it started. Well, I cleary have not followed through in my pledge. So I ask that you give me a couple of days to get my thoughts together, and I solemnly swear that by this time next week, I will have a post up on the subject. I do appreciate the patience, however.

In the meantime, I would like to quickly talk about a recent bill that was passed in the Senate. Essentially, the bill makes it a crime to transport a minor across state lines to get an abortion without her parents consent. (For your reference, it was voted in favor of by 51 Republicans and 14 Democrats).

Personally, I'm a bit torn on this issue. As a person classified as pro-choice (and please, before anyone lights up my message board with anti-abortion comments, pro-choice is not the same as pro-abortion - I'm keeping those thoughts to myself - and if you don't know that by now, well, you've got some reading to do), I don't agree with any bill that prevents a person from their right to have an abortion if they so choose. The fact is, I believe this bill is an attempt at the beginning of the end of abortion (which will, in fact, not end it at all, just end it in a safe and legal manner). However, one thing that strikes me about this bill is that it's claiming to be "in the best interest of the safety of the minor." Personally, I don't really buy it, but it does bring up an interesting point.

I think that it can be dangerous for a young girl to be traveling hundreds of miles to places she doesn't know to get an abortion from a doctor she may not trust. Personally, I think it would be much better if parents would be more open to discussion with their children, as well as if children would be more open to discussion with their parents, and if everyone would put their sense and safety ahead of anything else. However, that's not the case, and therefore the only thing I really have to go on is my dislike and distrust of Congress. I guess, in that sense, I've made my decision.

Maybe one of these days I can get something positive in here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this your mother and I remember the days when abortions were illegal and kids traveled to Haiti and other places to get an abortion or hangers or 'doctors' who weren't really doctors and then they were plagued with infections, and sometimes death. There are many parents who do not believe their children should have sex when they are unmarried, much less get pregnant. If a child is determined to get an abortion, and the only way to get one safely is across state lines, I say hurray. This is not just a matter of personal choice, it's a matter of privacy and it's a matter of safety.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home