Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Resume's, anyone?

While in actuality I have no idea if anyone actually reads this blog, I would like to take this time to apologize to any of those loyal readers who wish I would post more. The combination of 10-12 hour work days, and lack of any type of subject that moves me into writing has lead to my recent dearth of contributions to the blogger system. Now, I initially predicted this imminent fall-off, as previously I have tried two blogs prior to this one, both on livejournal, and they both fell upon similar circumstances, though my lack of writing in those blogs was much worse than going almost two weeks without writing in this one. Having anticipated this, I attempted to pre-empt the situation by finding a partner to blog with (an insipirational idea I stole from my good friends Aristocrates and The Generalist), someone who could invariably keep the energy up and keep me blogging, as well as keeping the place fresh while I went through my regular lack of posting. I approached a friend about this situation prior to starting a blog, one who I felt would have a similar taste for discussion as myself. The following exchange occured:

Me: "I need a partner to blog with, so that I don't just stop blogging out of laziness."
Friend: "I would do it, except everybody has a blog now. I don't want it to look like I'm jumping on the bandwagon."
Me: "They don't even have to know it's you."
Friend: "I don't want to do it! Besides, I already use my away message as a blog. People look for that."


While I see and understand his point of not wanting to look like he's attempting to follow everyone else, it's hard for me to not attempt to be selfish in this situation, as I have already proven my need for another contributer. And though it may be easy to just find a contributer, to find someone who compliments not only your writing style but your opinions (not necessarily agrees with them, but is able to have an intellectual discussion despite disagreement), has proven difficult. After my last two blogs, I vowed not to start another one until I actually had something to say, and I would ask my contributer to stick to that idea as well.

So here I am. I suppose I would be accepting resume's, if anyone were actually to submit them. But in actuality it would just be nice to have a person to vibe off of. The fact is, though, that I have a few simple rules that would probably keep me from making this happen:

The First: I must know the person.
The Second: They must not speak about themselves in any manner of speaking, unless:
a. It pertains to their post.
b. It's an interesting story that simply must be told.
The Third: Their posts must be intellectual in nature. That's not to say they have to read like science journals, or 19th century novels. They just must bring about thought, in some way or another, be it funny or not. There is a lot of freedom in this, the idea is just to keep away the mindless dribble that you see in most blogs.

I realize most people will probably think these rules foolish. The fact is, that I didn't want this to become the usual "today sucked because..." blog. I would like it to be a forum of discussion. Something to read/write at work, a place where I can continue thoughts and have others respond. That's all. So, if anyone would like to join me, please inquire.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aristocrates said...

Yea mayn, having a co-contributor(s) is the life-preserver for General Musings of Generalists. I've taken a couple of two week hiatuses (hiati?) and if it wasnt for the co-con(s), the blog may have had to be retired. As we have seemed to attract "millions" of loyal readers, they'll stop coming if you fall off - or so I suspect. Plus, it makes it more of an interactive process to all read original material on "your" site that didnt come from when it comes from someone with similar interests and/or writing styles.

So if you can find one/some, I strongly encourage, if not good luck on the maintenance. Then again, for me (and I know The Generalist initially when he had two loyal readers - me being one of them) it was just a place for a brain-dump...so it could be self-serving without widespread appeal.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Aristocrates said...

FYI, I read your blog relatively religiously now which is definitely aided by you posting elsewhere when it is updated...

1:23 PM  
Blogger alyse said...

i was blogging with a partner on another site and i couldn't keep it up. i was reluctant to post. despite the fact that she wanted me to post about "anything" i felt constricted. my posts are so random and being solo is absolute freedom.

i enjoy your blog as is.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home