Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Oscars

I know it's a bit late to be posting on the Oscars, but I've had an odd few days, where in the span of 24 hours I worked 12 hours at my job, and then, 12 hours later, proceeded to be offered a new job at an advertising company, which I promptly took. I've been kind of all over the place, and so I haven't really taken the time to post. And on to the post!

1. Watching the Oscars really just reminded me of why it is I don't watch the Oscars in the first place. It was pretty boring, and having not seen 90% of the movies up for awards, I really had no vesting interest in the awards whatsoever.
2. The performances were horrible. The only highlight came with the unintentional comedy of the song from Crash, and the subsequent rehashing of the movie in the background, burning car complete. Was it wrong that I half expected the flaming wreck in the back to explode and just ruin the Oscars? I have issues.
3. Academy Award Winners Juicy J, DJ Paul, and the rest of Three 6 Mafia. 'Nuff said.
4. Crash was, in my opinion, wholelly overrated. Sure, there was a star studded cast. Sure, it was about time Hollywood addressed racial issues with vigor. But as Bill Simmons said in his post-Oscar article, "at any point did you ever think, 'Wow, I'm watching the 2005 Oscar winner right now'?" Personally, I wasn't impressed by the movie, though I thought there were some very well written and very well done parts. It just wasn't best picture material to me. And if I offend anyone (as I seem to do whenever I go against popular opinion), I'm sorry.

That's really it. I wasn't impressed by the show, by the awards, by anything really. I thought John Stewart did a pretty good job as host, but his humor is clearly over the head of Hollywood. And it's a shame really. But I suppose it's better that way. I really only watched the Oscars because John Stewart was hosting (and because there was nothing else on TV), and so better he doesn't host again so I don't have to watch again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Intellectivist: Tony Kushner recently said, in the NY TIMES, that political theatre is usually theatre of the left. That right-learning theatre tends not to be progressive or socially engaged theatre.
Any comments?

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home